He is the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords! Merry CHRISTmas!!!

Thursday, April 2, 2009

We are looking forward to General Conference (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) this weekend (Saturday and Sunday). A new apostle will be called to replace Elder Wirthlin who has passed away since our last conference. We'll be juggling our first soccer games of the season on Saturday as well. I was able to get a small taste of conference last weekend when I attended the Young Womens General Broadcast. I thought it was so good! You can find the talks in video and written form HERE I especially enjoyed our prophet's talk on "courage." Although he was speaking to the young women it was a talk that I think applies to all and I just had to include a few of President's Monsons quotes here:

"My earnest prayer is that you will have the courage required to refrain from judging others, the courage to be chaste and virtuous, and the courage to stand firm for truth and righteousness.

Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor in India most of her life, spoke this truth: “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.”

Powerful is this quote from news commentator Ted Koppel, host of ABC’s Nightline program for many years. Said he:
“We have actually convinced ourselves that slogans will save us. ‘Shoot up if you must; but use a clean needle.’ ‘Enjoy sex whenever with whomever you wish; but [protect yourself].’
“No. The answer is no. Not no because it isn’t cool or smart or because you might end up in jail or dying in an AIDS ward—but no, because it’s wrong. . . .
“What Moses brought down from Mt. Sinai were not the Ten Suggestions, they are Commandments. Are, not were.”

2 comments:

  1. I am blog stalking...but had to second the excitement for conference this weekend. I loved the YW broadcast and actually forgot half-way through that I was watching it with my girls in mind since SO much of it was what I needed to hear for myself as well. We all need lots of courage in all that we do, so hang in there everyone and keep standing up for what is right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a calling in Young Women's? I'll have to read the talk!

    ReplyDelete